Application & Cancelation Policies
North Carolina Outward Bound School's payment terms and conditions are based on our investment in planning, staffing and delivering our courses. These expenses are not recoverable, therefore, penalties may apply and are noted below. Please review thoroughly before making any further financial commitment.
North Carolina Outward Bound School requires a $500 deposit submitted with an application. The $500 deposit is applied toward the course tuition and includes a $150 non-refundable processing fee.
Deposits vary for our Grieving Teens Program and there is no deposit required to apply for our Veterns Program. Please see course details for more information.
See Payment Terms and Conditions for Struggling Teens and Young Adults for deposit refund policies specific to the courses for Struggling Teens and Young Adults.
Deposit Refund Policy
The deposit includes a $150 non-refundable processing fee. The remaining $350 is refundable if you cancel your enrollment 90 days or more prior to your course start date.
- In the event you are not cleared to participate on the course, North Carolina Outward Bound School will retain the $150 non-refundable processing fee and refund the remaining $350 (conditional on you having met established due dates and responded with full disclosure while completing our health history questionnaire). We are not responsible for other expenses, including travel, lodging and gear costs.
- If your payment is not received by the due date, this may be considered a cancelation and you will risk losing your position on the course and the $500 deposit. To avoid cancelation, contact your student services representative.
- If you cancel 89 days or less prior to the course start date, we will follow the Cancelation Policy penalties.
The $150 processing fee is refundable under the following conditions:
- If you have met all due dates and did not receive the amount of scholarship aid needed.
- You were waitlisted and a position on course did not become available.
- North Carolina Outward Bound School cancels your course.
Tuition covers the cost of food, instructors, permits, gear and equipment. Not included in this cost are personal expenses such as clothing, insurance (health and trip/travel), airfare and baggage fees.
Full payment is due 90 days prior to the course start date even if you have yet to submit your completed enrollment packet or have yet to be cleared to participate on the course.
If your payment is not received by the due date, this may be considered a cancelation and you will risk losing your position on the course and the $500 deposit. To avoid cancelation, contact your Student Services Representative.
If you cancel 89 days or less prior to your course start date, the cancelation penalties listed below will apply. If you have not paid your full tuition by the due date, there are no refunds or percentage refunds of partial payments.
For cancelations between:
- 89 and 75 days from the course start date, Outward Bound will retain the $500 tuition deposit and will refund the remaining balance.
- 74 and 60 days from course start, Outward Bound will retain the $500 tuition deposit and will refund 75% of the remaining balance.
- 59 and 45 days from course start, Outward Bound will retain the $500 tuition deposit and will refund 50% of the remaining balance.
- Less than 44 days from course start, Outward Bound will retain the total cost of course.
If you transfer:
- 60 days or more prior to course start: 100% of fully paid tuition transfers to a new course. A $100 transfer fee will apply to subsequent transfers.
- 59-30 days from course start: 50% of fully paid tuition transfers to a new course and 50% is forfeited.
- 29 days or less from course start: no transfer as all payments are forfeited.
If you applied to a course and are waitlisted, your paperwork and individual interview need to be completed. If a position on course becomes available, we will offer it to the applicant who completed the paperwork and interview first, not to the applicant who applied first.
The longer you can wait the better your chances! We have had cancelations as late as one week prior to course start. If a position on course becomes available, you will have 24 hours to respond to our offer. If you elect to cancel from the waitlist, we will refund your $500 tuition deposit. If you fail to respond to our offer, we will refund all but the $150 non-refundable processing fee.
If a position does not become available, we will refund the $500 tuition deposit.
These plans intend to safeguard your Outward Bound investment against unexpected events, illness or injury. As we cannot issue refunds except as outlined in this document, we highly recommend that you purchase Trip Insurance to cover your investment (e.g., course tuition, airfare and/or emergency evacuation). You may use a vendor of your choice or our Travel Agent Gennifer Hogan of All Ways Travel. Gennifer is knowledgeable about our programs, has access to multiple trip insurance options and is dedicated to helping you find coverage that’s best for you. Per All Ways Travel, there is an option that includes a “cancel for any reasonclause.” However to purchase this type of coverage, you must contact All Ways Travel within 7 days of submitting your Outward Bound deposit.
Gennifer Hogan - All Ways Travel
1-800-522-3242 or 1-828-874-3242