Cancelation & Transfer Policies
Our Cancelation/Refund and Transfer Policies are based on our investment in planning, staffing and provisioning our courses. These expenses are not recoverable and short-notice cancelations and transfers often prevent others from attending. Therefore, penalties do apply and are noted below.
I will be 85 years old one day and still realizing things about this experience.
-Gia Campanella, age 20
If you cancel more than 90 days prior to your course start date, North Carolina Outward Bound School will refund all monies paid but the non-refundable $150 processing fee.
There are penalties for canceling less than 90 days before the course start date and a graduated system of penalties apply.
For cancelations between:
- 89 and 75 days from the course start date, Outward Bound will retain the $500 deposit and refund any other payments
- 74 and 60 days from course start, Outward Bound will refund 75% of paid tuition and fees
- 59 and 45 days from course start, Outward Bound will refund 50% of paid tuition and fees
- Less than 44 days from course start, Outward Bound will not issue a refund
If the course you selected is full, you may have the option to be waitlisted. If waitlisted for a course, in addition to submitting the application form and $500 deposit, you will be required to submit a completed registration packet.
If a spot becomes available, it will be offered to the individual who returned their completed paperwork first; not to the individual who enrolled on the waitlist first. This individual will have 24 hours to decide to take the open spot.
If a spot does not become available, or you elect to be removed from the waitlist, Outward Bound will refund the full $500 deposit.
If a spot does become available and you elect not to take it, the $150 enrollment processing fee will not be refunded.
Course Transfer Policy
You may transfer from one course to another one time for no penalty provided it is more than 60 days from the course start date. A $100 Transfer Fee will apply to subsequent transfers more than 60 days from the course start date.
For transfers less than 60 days from the course start date, 50% of the payment is transferrable and you will forfeit 50% of your payment. Outward Bound will not issue refund for any transfers less than 30 days of the course start date.
Outward Bound can provide can provide additional information about purchasing plans to help protect individuals from penalties associated with certain types of cancelations. These protection plans intend to safeguard your Outward Bound investment against unexpected events, illness or injury. Information regarding your options for protection is provided in your registration packet materials.
Early Departure & Expulsion
We are prepared to support our students through times of homesickness, discouragement and less than ideal weather conditions. However, we will not force a student to remain on course should they be determined to leave. To keep a student on course against their will may affect their personal safety as well as the safety of their crew members. Parents will be notified and will be required to arrange their child’s departure. This departure will pull resources from other areas of the school; therefore, NCOB will charge a $100 evacuation fee.
You may be expelled from a course if our staff determines you are in violation of the following policies:
- Unwilling or unmotivated to participate and should responsibility as a team member
- Posing a danger to yourself or others through misconduct or unsafe actions
- Defiant, harassing or otherwise compromising the emotional safety of others
- Use of alcohol, drugs, (including prescription medication not prescribed to you or sharing your medication), or tobacco use on course
- Engaging in sexual activity